5.04.2012

BAMF Of The Week: Jason Statham

JASON STATHAM
"Bonjour, douchebag."

Since I fina-fucking-ly got around to watching Crank, this was the inevitable outcome. Jason Statham up on the wall of fame. I'm aware that he's an actor who people have mixed opinions about, but let's look at the facts: he's a really fucking good action hero/anti-hero. He does his own stunts, he looks lethal with a gun, and he knows how to deliver a good one-liner. Sold. The best part about it? He's British, so he knows how to sell sarcasm. Sarcastic wit is a talent they've really nailed on the head over there, and he pulls it off with his often snide, petty characters. So, yes. Jason Statham always plays Jason Statham. But really, why would you want him to be anything else?

Best Films: Crank, Snatch. (2000), and Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels (1998). Basically, he's just feeding off my Guy Ritchie fetish. Mean Machine (2001), while not movie of the year, was just a fun fucking movie and he was hilarious in it. However, if you want to see a movie that's not particularly great but leaves you going, "Wait, Jason Statham can act?", try London (2005). 

Worst Films: The Expendables (2010). Shudder. Though, to be fair, I haven't actually seen Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)

Fun Fact: He's an asshole in real life? Orly? And Chuck Norris is a Republican, ask me how much I care. 

Upcoming: Safe (2012) just came out. So it's not a particularly original plot, but I'll be seeing that shit anyway. 

I haven't actually gotten around to The Mechanic (2011) or Blitz (2011), though I've been meaning to. Any takers?  

14 comments:

  1. I've seen both The Mechanic and Blitz. I can't even remember a moment of Blitz, but the Mechanic was decent. But Statham is one hell of a BAMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, that's unfortunate, Blitz looked promising! Still, I'll have to check out the Mechanic for sure. He sure is!

      Delete
  2. Agreed. Even when his movies aren't the best, his character is always likeable and kick ass. He's very good at the part he plays, which is not a bad thing at all. You could say the same thing of most historic BAMF's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word! Jason Statham makes an excellent Jason Statham. End of story.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you've never seen Crank! Madness! I remember loving the shit out of it the first time, but the second flick sucks large amounts of adrenaline-fueled ass.

    Statham is an excellent pick for BAMF, regardless. The guy oozes an overall vibe of 'fuck off' - that's nice.

    Love the bit about him being a prick in real life. If it's true oh well. I don't need him to care about my ass, I need him to kick it. Repeatedly.

    (I deleted the initial comment because in my excitement it was basically impossible to decipher)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I will review that movie. Pronto. Because I love it ridiculous amounts.

      "I don't need him to care about my ass, I need him to kick it. Repeatedly." WIN. And my point exactly. The dude's a fucking bull in a china shop and I wouldn't ask for anything else.

      I LOVE NONSENSICAL EXCITED RAMBLING!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic choice for a BAMF! Statham rules. He is always entertaining and looks super cool when he is punching people in the face! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking super cool when you punch people in the face is really, really, all I ask out of a badass.

      Delete
  6. "The Mechanic" is your usual Statham fare, balls to the wall action.

    "Blitz", on the other hand, is your unusual Statham fare. Statham's a detective, and Paddy Considine is his gay partner. They have to catch a brutal cop killer by the name of Blitz. "Blitz", contrary to its title, is not so much action-oriented, and even though it may seem as every other cop movie, it has something distinctive in it. It's not a "whodunnit" police mystery, and it's also not a psychological mind-game between the killer and the cops a la Se7en.

    Overall, I liked it quite a lot. Will love to read your thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued enough by the strangeness of Blitz to officially want to see it. It sounds like it's got a bunch of great pieces! Plus, all the actors in it are awesome. Time to check that shit out.

      Delete
  7. Who cares what Jason's like in real life? As long as he keeps kicking ass in highly entertaining ways on film, I'm there. I enjoyed Expendables. It was cheesetastic goodness to me like a Walker: Texas Ranger marathon. I think his worst film was In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (you know it's bad when there's a colon in the title). It's a wannabe medieval epic that featured LeeLee Sobieski and Ray Liotta. Directed by the horrific Uwe Boll. It is as bad as bad can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactamundo. I didn't enjoy Expendables because I was hoping for so much more. Maybe I should give it another chance. The colon is the sign of all bad things. I love Statham, I love Ray Liotta, but...medieval epic? Really? Awkward.

      Delete

Every time you leave a comment, Chuck Norris sneezes and creates a new solar system.